A wedding couple at St Paul's

Who can marry?

Everyone is welcome. You do not need to be an Anglican although the church expects that at least one of you is a baptised Christian. It is usually possible to be married in the Anglican church after divorce. At this time, marriages in the Anglican Church can only be celebrated between a man and a woman.

Who can marry us?

Only Anglican clergy can preside at marriages in Anglican churches. Usually this is a priest on the parish staff but though in special circumstances other licensed Anglican Clergy celebrate the marriage. Clergy of other churches are welcome to help in an Anglican marriage service by giving the reading or leading the prayers.

Who cannot marry?

The Marriage Act lists reasons people cannot marry. The three main reasons are —because you are married already, because you are under age, or because you are forced to marry without your consent.

What documents do we need?

You must produce full birth certificates for both of you, and evidence of baptism for one or both, together with divorce papers or a death certificate where necessary if you were previously married.

What is the Notice of Marriage?

The Notice of Intended Marriage is a legal document and comes into force once it is completed and signed by you both at least a month before you marry.

What if one of us is divorced?

You cannot marry if you are married already. So you must be free under Australian law - that is, your divorce decree must already be absolute. To be married in church you need the permission of the Archbishop of Perth. Bring your divorce papers with you to the initial meeting with the Parish Priest who will discuss this further with you.

What will it cost?

This is a pastoral service of the church, and the clergy charge no set fee, however couples are asked to consider a suitable donation, usually between $300 and $500 to the parish fund. This will cover the meetings with the clergy, rehearsal, phone calls, the wedding itself and the official paper work.


There will be a charge for flowers, which are expected to remain in the church. The cost for the flowers will be discussed with the person purchasing and arranging the flowers, and depend upon what is required.


Music is seen as an normal part of the marriage service. Hymns that are chosen will need to be from Together in Song or other traditional hymn books. Other music can be used by arrangement but must be suitable for a Christian service and be approved by the clergy officiating.
There is a beautiful pipe organ in the church, but it can only played by a church organist or one who is approved by the School Chapel organist. The fee for the organist is normall $150.00

Is any preparation required?

It is desirable to prepare for the celebration of your wedding and for your subsequent married life together. We suggest taking a short marriage preparation series called PREPARE. Find out about this course at Prepare/Enrich.  You can find a trained facilitator using the postcode search.  Normally there is a charge of around $300. It is well worth the investment in preparing for the major step we make in our lives when we commit to each other in marriage.

Can we make up our own vows?

The Anglican Church has authorised forms of service for marriage set out in its Prayer Books. Within the prescribed forms, you personalise the wedding by choosing special music, Bible readings and prayers.

Can we take photographs?

Photographers are welcome but must observe our guidelines. Video cameras are permitted if they operate on a tripod from a single vantage point. The video operator is responsible to obtain any copyright permissions. No floodlighting is permitted. We prefer that flash is not used—it can distract you and the priest.

Who prints the order of service?

You can either produce your own service booklet, after consultation with the clergy, or have the booklet set up and printed for you by the parish. A separate quotation for this will be given, depending upon what is required.

When can we marry?

No weddings may be conducted close to Christmas or Easter. There may also be restrictions on some days due to Christian feasts. There are limitations on the use of the Chapel during the school week as it may be in use for school events. For information about dates, use the contact form on the Contact Us page.

Can we use confetti?

Confetti in any form - paper, rose petals, or rice, is not permitted under any circumstances in or around the church precinct. It Is too difficult to clean up.

When is the rehearsal held?

A full rehearsal for everyone in your wedding party is usually held in the week before the marriage at a time convenient to you and the priest.

What do we do next?

If you would like to find out more, please call or email the Parish to make an appointment to see the Parish Priest.
A spiritual journey together
Marriage in church is not just a legal ceremony. It is an occasion for celebrating the wonderful gift of love that God so freely gives us. Spurred on by the hope that is given in Christ Jesus, our prayer for you is that your life together is enriched by God’s love and immersed in the joy and peace of God’s Spirit.
You may like to use this prayer...

God of love and life,
you give the gift of marriage as a symbol
of your amazing and unending love for us all:
as we prepare for our lifelong union together,
enrich our lives,
draw us into a unity of love and service,
and fill our days with joy and peace. Amen.